PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avgas price in Australia and New Zealand
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2011, 07:48
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
QDM the last price I saw quoted in UK recently was GBP1.60/lt.

In my view if you're earning Pounds that is not a lot different to paying AU$1.60/lt in Australia when you earn AU$.

The latest exchange rate GBP/AUD is 1.60. So when I put some avgas in my mates Cherokee at White Waltham its costing ME about AU$2.56/lt. That is the only time exchange rates come into the question. Actually more like Br$3.20/lt because I earn Brunei/Sin $s not Oz$.

It would be as silly as you saying that you Ozzies have it so good/flying is so cheap in Australia because you only pay GBP1.06/lt for avgas.

On the general point of avgas cost...a litre of the highest quality/octane fuel you can buy for your car in Oz was AU$1.40-1.50/lt last I filled my BN car a few weeks ago. Given all the issues that attend Avgas (small refining quantities/transport & storage issues bought on because of the lead content etc - and, yes, that is just a result of greeny BS) I am not sure I can get too worked up about paying an extra 30 cents a litre for avgas.

What I DO get very worked up about is the level of taxation and what we get back for that Tax...ZERO. That is a different argument. I pay 30 cents a litre for diesel in Brunei and petrol is 50 cents a litre. Everything else you pay in UK/Oz is tax.