PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career Change to Helicopter Pilot
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2011, 04:39
blave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to dream about flying helis for a living... Until I came to my senses.

Note that I learned to fly "later in life" and now I wish I'd started earlier (I'm 51 and have been flying for about ten years).

Here's the deal: no matter how old/young you are, and AFTER you've spent twenty or thirty grand on getting your private/commercial/maybe (preferably) instrument ratings in helicopters - do plan on making "barely getting by" wages (if that) as a flight instructor to build time for a few years - you'll need between 500 hours and (more likely) 1000 hours of logged Pilot In Command time to do anything else. Some areas (e.g. medivac) typically require more.

I got as creative as I could for a few years, trying to build time "on the cheap". At least in my area it's very difficult to not pay $200 or $300 or more per flight hour to build time.

In other words - it's all about your logged flight time - enthusiasm and determination won't get you past the front door of a potential employer unless you either have the hours or get struck by a really big Lucky Stick. I think this is due to insurance requirements, but it is the reality of trying to break into the biz.

I have the luxury of having another "career" that is less fulfilling than flying, and yet it more than pays the bills. So after about 7 years of having the dream, I finally gave it up.

My post is not intended to try to talk you out of your dream - but it will involve a lot of work and sacrifice on many levels.

Good luck to you!

Dave B.