PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Williamtown Procedures
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2011, 04:27
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
YPJT

Surely it is obvious that the Minister for Defence or the CDF will do nothing about this.

Onemore, I will make it quite clear again, I am not criticising the people who do the actual work. It is just the non decision makers above. I wonder how many people have needlessly died in our military because of straight out incompetence of those in the hierarchy when it comes to asking advice and following the best from overseas. No doubt this will only come up when there is a proper royal commission – otherwise they all protect themselves.

Why if there was a decision maker in the Defence, haven’t they said in the last 25 years something like ”Mr Smith we can’t follow the procedures in Class C that are used in countries like the United States and Canada for the following reasons….”. In fact, these people – right at the top have told me they are making the changes, but it never happens. No doubt it never happens because the person who is delegated to do the job suddenly realises that they may be held accountable for changes they make and what has been pushed into the system for years is the fact that if you don’t make a decision it is most likely you will see your career through and never be held responsible for anything.

Yes, I am very much concerned about our forces that are overseas – because it is obvious that there is a complete mentality within the hierarchy in the Defence Force to never ask advice and never copy the success of others. That will only result in unnecessary lives being lost. I will not move away from this and hopefully some changes will be made before there is a catastrophe.

YPJT and Onemmore, why don’t you comment on why we are so different with our Class C procedures, with countries like the United States and Canada. Surely there must be a reason. Don’t try and tell that Australian pilots are less responsible or Australian airtraffic controllers and those in the military are not as competent. I don’t believe any of that. I simply see it as a shocking lack of leadership which is letting the whole country down through the waste.