PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2011, 01:59
janeczku

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found a collection of comments made by Polish military and commercial pilots in various forums, that i would like to share with you. Original source

On the failed manual go-around
"I am devastated as a pilot and a Pole. For many critical seconds the pilot was "wrestling" with the autopilot, while "the plane was flying" as used to say my instructor Col. M. It would have been sufficient to just execute the procedure that follows the instruction to "go around". Firewall throttle, level, climb... Those are things which are learned already in the basic training for the private pilot license! First full throttle, then pull the stick! ... But he went on, and went, and nothing ... Or maybe he did not want to make a "go around" just-level, and rat crawl to the runway?"
On the (in)ability of the crew to do a 2NDB approach
"The crew flew exclusivly to airports with ILS. There is no confirmation as to when the crew members performed a 2NDB approach the last time or if they ever did that kind of approach at all onboard the TU-154."
Further evidence that Polish AF special regiment pilots werent trained sufficiently for NDB approaches
"Arthur Wosztyl, when describing his landing in Smolensk on JAK-40 [This is the A/C that landed in Smolensk shortly before the fog], said he noticed, that the ARK radiokompass [ADF] didnt give a clear indication, as the needle on the main navigation display was jumping within 10 degress from left to right. He testified that this would be << evidence of a faulty operation of beacons >>. You could draw the conclusion from this statement, that the JAK-pilot didnt know a thing about NDB. It seems as if the behavior described is quite normal at time of close approach to an NDB beacon. This is further evidence of the level of training of the pilots."
Hillarious!

And this is from ... wikipedia!
"As an aircraft nears an NDB station, the ADF becomes increasingly sensitive, small lateral deviations result in large deflections of the needle which sometimes shows erratic left/right oscillations."