PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Williamtown Procedures
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2011, 00:40
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
C-change, you state,

Im situations like these, I like to have positive separation, as I have been caught by too many VFR pilots who simply have no idea what they are doing and cannot be relied upon to follow simple instructions, let alone arrange their own separation.
C-change, from this it is quite clear you simply have no idea on how professional air traffic controllers work in countries like the United States and Canada. They don’t end up with people in Class C airspace (I have never asked for or wanted Class D at Williamtown) relying on pilots arranging their own separation. They use techniques which allow them to keep the aircraft apart without having to hold aircraft unnecessarily.

I mentioned in a previous post the tower having airspace or the radar controller being allowed to use target resolution procedures. Why don’t you answer this? Tell me: why in the United States and Canada – with possibly twenty times the number of pilots - don’t they have the problem you are claiming, i.e. pilots who “cannot be relied upon to follow simple instructions”.

Surely if this was a problem in the United States and Canada they would have changed the procedures to that which you use at Williamtown? They haven’t, because I have spoken to the controllers at Class C towers and they simply cannot believe the ineptitude of the Australian system.

Yes, I know – it’s not the air traffic controllers’ responsibility to bring in modern regulations. That’s why I am criticising the non-leadership in the RAAF.

For over twenty-five years they have known that there are procedures which allow controllers to facilitate traffic at very high levels of safety, yet they have never made a change.

I know why. It’s because they could be held responsible for making a change, and they are in their positions of hierarchy because they never make a decision that they can ever be held responsible for.

Luckily, these people will be sacked if we have a real war, and some competent people will be appointed who will take the responsibility of making decisions that benefit the whole country, not just one person not being held accountable.