PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microlight a good choice for a diabetic?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2011, 22:07
Captainkarl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drop me an pm with your email and I will be able to sort you out with a medical on the NPPL which will allow passenger carrying providing you meet certain criteria. I and several others in my organisation Pilots With Diabetes have the medical. We are also advocates and campaigning to bring about a change in the regulations to allow a system for commercial flying with diabetes like the Canadians and also to bring great private privileges like the Americans...if you drop me a PM I could tell you about our next little group meeting in London at the RAF (very nice venue and nice little bar afterwards! )

I will also add: if your thinking about flex wing micro lighting then it will be a pain in the ass to test in the air...I have done some flying this way and its not easy or fun....if you are going this route...I would recommend investing in a continuous glucose monitor system (www.dexcom.com)...essentially its like a digital fuel gauge for the body and will be easier than a blood test and also will give warnings of highs and lows. I use a system and so does Douglas and we can both happily guarantee what when we are flying we will not go low/hypo!

I will also add...if you want a license to fly anything including a jet (providing you can afford it and had the type training) then the FAA PPL is the way forward on a special issuance class 3 medical. Only downside is its only valid within US airspace....but there is a lot of airspace to fly-in. Ive done several records as a passenger with Douglas and I can vouche the US system is far better than the NPPL here.

Dougie and I are good friends and I have been honoured to be aboard his to record breaking flights (DF48 & DF50) and assisting in this years Diabetes Polar Flight...which will be amazing!

____________________________________________________________ ______

France indeed has no medical requirement for microlight pilots, so may be worth investigating. Meanwhile have a look at these websites and especially what Doug Cairns has achieved.

All the best,

Karl Beetson aka Diabeetson!