PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Info for those (low-timers) seeking a job in Namibia
Old 16th Jan 2011, 20:05
darkroomsource

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're on a FAA ticket, just get some time on whichever type seems the most common where you're aiming to go. You'll require enough to convince employers and local CAA that you know what you're doing. Alternatively, just get the job and do the training and required paperwork on a local aircraft in order to satisfy the authorities. Time on type will happen as you normally require a few hours with a locally experienced pilot before being released to the line.
From what I've heard, this might make you more marketable, but will not reduce the amount of time you have to spend in country flying that specific make/model. My understanding is that you have to have five hours make/model with a CAA instructor. Then you have to take a flight test, and that flight test is very similar to an actual CPL test.

I guess I find it hard to think of c182, c206 c208 c210 as being types. As I mentioned in the US once you have a hi performance endorsement you can fly any HP SEL conventional gear you like. The exception being if you need to fly so high that you need an altitude endoresement as well. But, again, once you have that endorsement, you don't need another for high altitude.
At my flight school, all my training was done on C172 and C172RGs
Every FBO I've ever wanted to rent from wanted me to take a check ride in make/model before I could rent. The more complex the plane, the longer the check ride seemed to be. Although I have the HP endorsement, acutally I have the grandfathered endorsement from 1992, and the FAA says I can fly anything SE up to 12,500, I can't walk into the local FBO and rent the DA40. The FBO (and it's unsurance company) wants at least 10 hours with their instructor in that make/model before I can rent it.
However at another FBO, the checkout in the 182 qualified me for the 152's.

So, here's a clue. There are differences in the laws regarding flying in Africa.
Here are a couple more.
There is no single engine commercial IFR in southern Africa.
Most PPL's can't fly at night in Africa - it's a seperate endorsement.
One of the things you have to do to fly commercial in Africa is get your license either validated or "converted". Both of which require written and practical tests.
You also have to have a Radio license, whereas in the US you don't need to have one.

Again, ALL of this is covered in the numerous threads about Botswana and Namibia. Search for one or all of the following:
Maun, Windhoek, Swakopmund, Botswana, Namibia
Additionally, there is great information about Zambia and Malawi although they are CURRENTLY requiring more hours. South Africa is also an options, but generally you have to be FROM South Africa to get a flying job IN South Africa.

(I could be wrong about any and all of this, but that would mean that a large number of people have published many false claims and documents, which would lead one to think that there is a major conspiracy to get pilots to fly to Botswana for some bizarre reason - maybe it's so that they will bring cans of hair spray with them)