PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N850TV impounded at BHX
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2011, 20:00
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you are an overloaded single pilot doing an NDB/DME approach to an international airport the chances are you will f1_1ck up.
What presumptious bollox. I take it you are not a pilot.

Let me let you into a few dirty little secrets of flying planes (which you wouldn't know unless you fly them, of course, and I don't mean C152s)

In a plane with even 25% of the cockpit automation of a TBM850 (and I flew a brand spanking new 850 with a Socata factory instructor a few months ago, and I have 1100hrs in another little GA plane with about 75% of the cockpit automation of the TBM) any instrument approach is a doddle.

An NDB/DME approach is (in real IMC) flown with autopilot guidance along the NDB inbound track, with the guidance coming from a GPS. All the pilot does is VNAV, and speed control, flaps, gear, comms. Nobody flying for real tracks NDBs, in the current century (airlines certainly don't).

As for the rest, if it's true he should not have landed without a landing clearance; that is clear.

But there could easily be more to the story. He might have been at his alternate, in which case a landing might not be optional. There is also the IFR lost comms procedure. When exactly did the other aircraft line up, and was it on the runway, or holding short of it?

Just don't go slagging off single pilot GA