PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2011, 19:29
SadPole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
janeczku

After pressing the button, as no decreasing altitude callouts were made for next 8 seconds, they thought everything was going well and the GA was about to happen, so why not take advantage by looking out the window checking out the fine scenery, instead of checking boring instruments.
IF this is what happened then these guys would have to be complete idiots, because GOAROUND has immediate effect of pushing throttle levers to «Взлетный режим» (takeoff). See Figure 44 of the report – immediate reaction. Yes, the plane still sinks about 25 meters before it stops descending, but for this to happen the engines have to be at nearly full power for these 25 meters.

As a matter of fact, if I am reading the Tu-154 instructions correctly, in automatic mode pushing the throttles to takeoff position has the same effect as pushing the goaround button. It's hard not to notice this not working and not pushing the levers if that didn't work, especially since it does the same thing as pressing the goaround button, I think.

Maybe I am biased against the politicians but to me meddling/confusing captain authority in the cockpit is the more likely possibility.