PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2011, 13:21
NW1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude - that really brings back pain form the past! I remember knowing (just) enough about the flying controls to pass the ARB, but a diagram similar to that one was presented at one "Technical Refresher" day (remember those?) by one of our more chatty training EOs (could have been you?!) together with a coloured plastic overhead projector schematic complete with slidey moving jacks and PFCUs and things and it worked! I completely understood the system right up until the first pint of Brains that night...

Flying in mechanical signalling was a different experience - losing the autostabs was bad enough (and proved how good that system was). A mate on the fleet once described it as like trying to fly around on a supersonic dustbin lid. I think that description was too kind - the thing was barely controllable in that configuration. One of our skippers described an airtest when he was on the JS where the crew were trying a decel in MS: as the phugoids were diverging he thought he was about to lose his life so leant forward to restore things. Sadly the switches had been left in MS, so he had to move the switches up to "Blue" as well as then pressing the reset tits - a procedure which he described as almost impossible due to the ever more extreme manoeuvres. Recovery, fotunately, was instant. Resetting electrical signalling and autostabilisation always felt like slotting into a groove on the Concorde.

For that reason, I believe, flight in mechanical signalling was removed from transonic flight on airtests and altogether from Base Training. The simulator was the only sensible way of trying to fly like that...

And that flying control pre-flight check! Learning it was a conversion course rite of passage: one of the sadder parts of reading this thread was realising I'd forgotten it. Great times, great aircraft, great people. Nostalgia isn't necessarily a thing of the past... see you in March?