PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cocpit design requirements
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2011, 11:11
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
At the risk of being a bit glib, the typical actions in the event of pilot incapacitation in a single pilot aeroplane, are to lose control resulting in an accident.

If you are looking at some form of reversionary logic to design into your AFCS in the event of a pilot ceasing to make any inputs to the controls,then this is pretty complex and I think that what you're going to need to do is sit down with a pilot and use their knowledge base to sketch this out in the format that you need. If you hadn't already made contact with the test pilots at NFLC then this is probably the time to do it.

You could get a lot from the checklist and manual used by a good flying school. Staying at Cranfield, I'd suggest that you could do worse than, say, strolling along to Bonus Aviation and buying a copy of theirs for either an Arrow or a Seminole - which should be a pretty good source of reference in seeing how pilots are programmed to handle these actions, since your machine needs to essentially do the same. (I suggest them, because I know their checklists and they're quite well written, complete and easy to follow.)

In a nutshell however, I think that if you are really trying to automate actions in the event of pilot incapacitation, all of 2-5 will be basically an expansion on:

- Squawk emergency
- climb/descend to safe height (just above MSA is probably optimal in most parts of the world.
- Orbit in position for a couple of minutes whilst making some RT announcement of intentions with timeline
- Divert to nearest available (or a pre-programmed) instrument runway
- Make automated instrument approach and landing.
- Stop on the runway and shutdown.

No.6 will just simplify to:

- Squawk emergency
- Make RT announcement of pilot incapacitation
- Make automated instrument approach and landing.
- Stop on the runway and shutdown.

If you are going to design something like this into a flying machine, you absolutely need some form of cockpit announcement and pilot override - the pilot may have perfectly good reasons for not making control inputs, or a dead-mans-switch may fail, and a conscious and capable pilot needs to be able to override the computers and continue to direct his own destiny.

You might also want to consider incorporating some alteration to cockpit air supply / pressurisation in the event of apparent pilot incapacitation.

G