PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF11 Eng Failure - Sensationalism journalism with Qantas or truly a trend?
Old 16th Jan 2011, 08:10
ALAEA Fed Sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all. Just a little story. I think it fits with this thread.

I was invited as a union leader by qantas (was still an employee then) to spend a week in the bush with managers and those who wanted to be. There was this exercise where you answered a questionnaire to determine how you viewed things. You were either in the artsy creative category or the logical clear thinking one. All the people on the course then lined up respective of their scores. I was down one far end out of the 30 people and the bloke at the other end was the former head of qantas engine maintenance. The manager was not just past the last engineer on the "artsy" end of the line, his score was so out there it was amazing he could even work out how to drive a car.

He shut down the Melbourne engine shop and shifted the work to a start up shop in tullamarine and called it a "center of excellence". They have since downgraded the engine tolerances and set records for time taken to overhaul a cfm (think it took them 12 months to do a two week job). The holes will line up one day.