PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crisis
Thread: Crisis
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2001, 03:50
Sol al Sur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Dear Wannabes and coleagues,
it's not all gloom and doom...this morning I was a wannabe and this afternoon I got offered a pilot job. So, recruitment continues! The way to go is regional, these airlines aren't being hit as badly as the larger airlines since they don't depend on transatlantic passengers, the regional industry will not slow down in the way the larger airlines are. Also, all those pilots being layed off are mostly near-retirement pilots who will be nicely payed off to give up their jobs and aren't likely to take a job that will pay them peanuts compared to their normal salary. Of course, some of these pilots will enter the pilot market, but not as many as you think.
I've had many conversations on this topic with pilots lately and they tend to agree that although the market will slow down, there is still a demand for pilots.
My friends, don't give up, if you are studying, continue, if you are thinking of starting a course, do so because by the time you get your licence there will more than probably be jobs out there... it might take a while to find one, but best things come to those who wait(and prepare themselves). Never give up, never.

Yours, Sol