PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross wind at North Weald Sat 31/8
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2002, 11:26
stiknruda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This Fri/Sat there was a BAeA comp at Connington. When I arrived the wind was 80 degrees off r/way hdg at 16 knots. This really was far too close to the demo x-wind capability of my aeroplane for comfort

Later that day it was 70 off 21G25 and Sat was easier as the wind was only 50 off but with the same speed

The majority of aerobatic competitors were flying tailwheel aircraft. There were some hair-raising landings from some Pitts pilots and I am sure that my second landing looked like an accident about to happen from the clubhouse.

Anyway the point of the post is that there were as many different techniques to overcome the x-wind as there were aircraft. However the most common method for tailwheel pilots was to slip with the nose into wind, kick straight at the last minute then lower the into wind wing till that wheel was on, then stick back and lower the leeward wheel.

Because there is a lot of hanging around waiting to fly at these events, we competitors discussed the differing techniques at great length.

There were only a few of us who used the into wind wing low method all the way down to touching down on one main and the tailwheel. However - I will certainly give the other method a go in the next fresh x-wind day as there were palpable visibility benefits.

Stik

of course some folk like DB6 don't fly real aeroplanes!