PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Williamtown Procedures
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2011, 01:18
C-change

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is funny, I love how dick gets held up (correctly IMO, with current procedures and priorities) then bitches about it on this forum and it becomes a "Lets move ADF bases because they are a pain".

Lets look a Dicks problem of being held on the coast first up.
Say we did have class D Twr at Willy and he was allowed up the coast at 500' with traffic. An IFR jet (or anything) departs off RWY 12 and has a problem (or the Air ambulance does a MAP) and now the two aircraft are in each others way ! They both get further traffic advice (its now class d) on each other, the jet with problem is busy, can't see Dick and increases their workload. Dick can't see the jet with a problem either and is now asking lots of questions and adding to other PIC's workload. And on it goes. Could end up as nothing, could be a sep breakdown or could end badly. There are lots of "what if's" but if it were to happen, Dick would be on here bleating about what a poor service he just received from Willy and that with Radar we should be doing better and it should be Class C. Can't win either way.
Im situations like these, I like to have positive separation, as I have been caught by too many VFR pilots who simply have no idea what they are doing and cannot be relied upon to follow simple instructions, let alone arrange their own separation.

Moving bases;
Go for it people. A couple of problems though. You will have trouble staffing these bases for many, many years and it will cost billions of dollars. No Govn. will commit to spending the sort of money required to move major bases, it would be political suicuide and then we would have Dick on here bleating about more wasted money. Have people seriously thought about how much money Military bases contribute to local economies and the flow on effect if they were to move?

flighthappens said,
Lets be realistic here. It's not a myth... It wont affect the bograts but if you are talking about moving the senior dudes with the experience, you know the guys with kids at a good school, a wife with a stable job (what jobs are they going to get at exmouth/broome/weipa if they are a professional?) + no ROSO, they will vote with their feet
Yep, that was me and so have plenty of friends.

WallyMk2 said,
I reckon our ATC'ers do a great job with a set of stupid rules!

Excellent statement.