PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microlight a good choice for a diabetic?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2011, 00:22
leapy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Microlight a good choice for a diabetic?

Hi everybody.

Apologies if this question has already been asked ( I had a look around and nothing quite seemed to fit) but I have a couple of questions and I'm having difficulty finding the answers I'm looking for.

Allow to explain my situation. I'm 25 years old and I've been a type 1 (insulin dependant) diabetic since I was 15, While I'm not financially in a position yet to start leaning to fly I would love to be able to fly sometime in the future. When I was younger I was planning on becoming an airline pilot, but that didn't happen for obvious reasons.

I did look at the NPPL for light aircraft but I figured if I can't take a non pilot up and I can't go out of the UK then what's the point? Then I started looking at microlights. I know the UK requires a license to fly a micro and the US doesn't (up to a certain weight) but what about the rest of the world? I'm having real trouble getting info on the licensing requirements and medical standards for specific countries. Is there anywhere else in the world where I can either hop in and go or get a license as a diabetic? I have this crazy dream of doing a long distance trip sometime in the future.

Or am I going to have to hop over to Africa and give a doctor a load of cash to get my medical certificate?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks