PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Williamtown Procedures
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2011, 23:00
flighthappens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quokka - I beg to differ . Lets be realistic here. It's not a myth... It wont affect the bograts but if you are talking about moving the senior dudes with the experience, you know the guys with kids at a good school, a wife with a stable job (what jobs are they going to get at exmouth/broome/weipa if they are a professional?) + no ROSO, they will vote with their feet. Why individuals think that because people have joined the ADF they forgo the chance have a normal lifestyle and to live in a desirable location is beyond me...

I suppose you think that everyone loves being posted to Tindal because they get to go camping, hunting, fishing etc... Some people do, A lot of people don't. As to Curtin or Learmonth - if people don't like diving or fishing what do you propose they do?

Strategically having those aircraft there or not every single day does not make a difference because :
a) there is no one out there bar the US that could feasibly cross the air sea gap, and b) there is no one out there with the intent to try.
c) ever tried assembling an invasion fleet in secret..seems hard to do and there will be enough pointers to move required assets in time... Cant see it happening myself...
d) if by our friends north of the equator you are talking china, to get to Australia first they are going to have to come through (in no particular order) Taiwan, Phillipines, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia. There is also another small organisation called the USN. China is currently lacking power projection tools like Carriers, AWACS, Tankers, not to mention how the USN and Collins Class Subs would have a field day if they did try to sail down to Aus.....

Strategically for Australia to attempt to move Willytown would be a fail because a lot of the pilots and troops that you have spent invested a significant amount in time and money to train will vote with their feet. Financially it will be huge. You are talking about the infrastructure and personnel for 6 flying squadrons (2, 3, 4, 76, 77 & OCU) plus all of their support (ATC, Fire, Health, 2x wing HQ's, 1x FEG HQ, an ECSS, BAe, Boeing, Raytheon, cleaners, blanket stackers etc..). I realise there is a runway where you are talking, but there isn't actually much else.

However if you read this and still think that it is a feasible, realistic and financially worthwhile thing to do that will not have an impact on recruitment & retention, good luck with that.