PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2011, 19:40
Captain Sand Dune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm extremely disappointed in the state of our defence force recruitment process and it is starting to make me second guess my wishes to join the Australian defence force.
Defence recruiting was civilianized some years ago. Speaks for itself.
Why should "professional athletic achievements" give you some 'edge' or priority in the recruiting process ? Means nothing mate - trust me !
Correct. Athletic performance has almost no relation to the ability to learn in the air.
Forty (40) is 'really pushing it' huh ? Is that a professional opinion ? What's your basis for this comment ?
Yes.
Yes.
17 years of military flying instruction. What's yours?
Some of the higher scoring student pilot graduates' from both BFTS and 2FTS have included students' in the 37-45 year old age bracket. A number of PLT and ACO students' on my IOC were in their very late 30's. All of them had more tenacity, common sense, dedication, commitment & leadership ability than most of the whinging "Gen-Y's" on course - without exception !!
The older guys certainly do demonstrate tenacity, and they generally accept criticism in a much more mature fashion then their "Gen Y' counterparts. However in my experience the older guys have difficulty learning at the required rate. Put simply it's really a case of "old dogs - new tricks". Don't get me wrong; I really enjoy flying with the older blokes, but in my experience they do not learn as quickly as the young guys. Additionally they come with baggage which can make their management quite a handful.
Some of the higher scoring student pilot graduates' from both BFTS and 2FTS have included students' in the 37-45 year old age bracket.
Yes, those that pass.
ADF selection of "kids straight out of school" is a fact of life. It's no secret: "kids" are easier to mould into the ADF psyche, than say older applicants' who possess significant life experience/s. "Kids" also apparently learn at a faster rate. The peak learning age is allegedly around 25-27 (if you believe the 'dumb bell' theory that is ! I don't.).
I do. In my opinion the ideal candidate is single and 20 - 25. Of course in this politically correct age we are required to accept a much wider range of demographic. Consequently we waste much time, money and effort proving what was common knowledge in "the old days".