PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44
Thread: Robinson R44
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2011, 19:10
Mike Barnard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robinson Helicopters - Bladder tanks

RHC have issued Service Bulletin no.78 requiring the retrofitting of bladder-type fuel tanks, with a 'time of compliance no later than 31st December 2014.'

In the case of the R44 the cost is, I am advised, likely to fall within the £12-£15k range, involving substantial sheet metal work, and will take approximately 40hrs exclusive of paint refinishing.

Its a lot of work involving significant downtime.

The result will of course be a safer machine. However, it will also be heavier and with a lower fuel capacity.

It remains to be seen whether or not the CAA issue an AD, rendering this work mandatory for G-Regd. aircraft.

The cynical amongst us might conclude that anything requiring compliance within the next four years
and regardless of hours flown can't be that important from a flight safety perspective, and may have some commercial undertones.

In my opinion the work described in the Bulletin should be complied with, if at all, at the 12 year rebuild.

I would be interested in the views of other Robinson owners. My guess is that the views of maintenance organisations might not be totally impartial...?! Nice work if you can get it.