PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2011, 18:12
SadPole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kulverstukas

I must admit, I have not seen these news before.

In short, they say, the analysis of the CVR in Poland revealed that the PIC gave the Go Around command at 100 meters (long before 2nd pilot doing the same), but that command seemed to not have been assertive enough and so it got somehow ignored (a what????).

If this is true, it would support my theory (voiced a few posts back) on what went on in the last seconds.

Blasik (the Air-Force General) comes to cockpit and starts participating in some pre-landing checks. This already creates confusion in everyone's mind. Who is in command here?! By the book, Protasiuk is still the PIC, but Blasik is the big boss (also a pilot), so he may be playing some supervisory role.

And so, they start the approach. I think Protasiuk (clearly opposed to landing at the beginning but going along) is expecting Blasik to order Go Around so that everyone is happy, but in Blasik's mind there suddenly is this feeling, "difficult situation – I should not interfere". And so, neither Protasiuk nor Blasik do anything because they expect the other to make the call. Had any of the two of them been less of a "nice guy", he would have asked – "what the **** are we doing?!"

Then the 2'd Pilot (by transcript a little more assertive/competent than the other two) tries to break the impasse and orders Go Around, but still nothing happens because, most likely, Protasiuk expects Blasik to confirm Go Around and Blasik vice-versa.

There is absolutely NOTHING WORSE than a critical situation where it isn't crystal clear who is in charge.
Meaning, PIC says "go-around" which is sort of a question he expects Blasik to answer but Blasik does not aswer.