PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2011, 14:32
Aussie_Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First up, from what I can make out, DFR is a joke. Some of you have been lucky to get into flight selection rather rapidly but spare a though for those of us who were cleared and have spent over 7 months waiting (and still waiting) to go down to Tamworth due to incompetence. My case manager basically kept putting off her applicants processing for several months so that someone else could pick up the slack when she went on mpaid maternity leave. I personally chased up my paperwork every week for 2 months with the same response. "It's on my desk, sorry I haven't sent it, I'll do it now." I heard that phrase parroted back to me every week for over 2 months. Then she went on maternity leave and my paperwork was still not sent.
Welcome to the ADF ! Be mindful that you're not only making application for selection as an ADF Pilot, but also a Commissioned Officer. You should have demonstrated some leadership potential and followed this matter up with the case manager's supervisor or your local member of parliament.

Now I realise 43 is the cut off age, but, 40 is really pushing it. Assuming he gets a clearance to be a pilot, by the time he's finished training he's extremely close to 50 years of age.
Forty (40) is 'really pushing it' huh ? Is that a professional opinion ? What's your basis for this comment ?
Some of the higher scoring student pilot graduates' from both BFTS and 2FTS have included students' in the 37-45 year old age bracket. A number of PLT and ACO students' on my IOC were in their very late 30's. All of them had more tenacity, common sense, dedication, commitment & leadership ability than most of the whinging "Gen-Y's" on course - without exception !!

Defence is trying to force people out, not get them in, though you wouldn't know it with all the money being spent on recruitment drives. If A Current Affairs is anything to go by, there are over 400 different types of jobs in the Defence force that need filling which from my understanding is BS. Defence does not have the money nor the resources to keep up with the amount of people wanting to join due to GFC.
Are you sure about all of this ? Sounds like drivel to me.

... 18 months in the recruitment process, despite my qualifications, life experience, multi-lingual abilities and professional athletic achievements leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth when kids straight out of school and old men are taking less than 4 months to go from You session to flight selection.
Why should "professional athletic achievements" give you some 'edge' or priority in the recruiting process ? Means nothing mate - trust me ! OSB may discuss these "achievements" with you briefly during the interview, but that's about it. Multi-lingual abilities have no bearing either. Great if you're applying to become an INTELO, but otherwise - it's just a 'nice thing to have' ... much in the same vain as being able to play a piano or guitar in the Mess !

ADF selection of "kids straight out of school" is a fact of life. It's no secret: "kids" are easier to mould into the ADF psyche, than say older applicants' who possess significant life experience/s. "Kids" also apparently learn at a faster rate. The peak learning age is allegedly around 25-27 (if you believe the 'dumb bell' theory that is ! I don't.).

Based upon your previous comments, I assume your definition of "old men" encompasses those in the 40 plus demographic ? If that's the case, I can assure you that 40 is NOT old ! The ADF has some very encouraging statistics, which show excellent results in military flying training from these "old men". These guys get through on their own merit, aptitude, abilities and attitude - just like everyone else !

There is a lot of other stuff I'd like to bring up but right now I just can't be bothered. I'm extremely disappointed in the state of our defence force recruitment process and it is starting to make me second guess my wishes to join the Australian defence force.
Sorry, I couldn't locate a 'dummy spit' smily icon !

It you're adopting this attitude now, how do you expect to cope with the rigours associated with Officer training and military flying training ?
I understand you're justifiably disappointed with the ADF recruiting process; however, you really need to take a long hard look at whether the ADF is right for you ? Based on some of your 'attitudes,' I feel you may struggle - particularly during the Officer training phases.