PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crisis
Thread: Crisis
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2001, 12:42
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sagey,
I'm afraid it's simple economics; salaries will follow the principle of supply and demand, just like anything else. If there is an oversupply of qualified pilots, that will give downward pressure to salaries. A shortage tends to raise them. There's nothing you can do about that.
However, it's a little early to be predicting the end of job opportunities for all wannabes! My gut feeling at the moment is that there will be a recovery, and quite a strong one, within 12-18 months. Many of the experienced people will be re-absorbed by the remaining major airlines, and the commuters will be back to looking for some low-hour people to help fill their cockpits.
I have nothing to base this slightly more optimistic perspective on other than the fact that the world's economy isn't really in bad shape. Confidence has been hugely hit but, outside the airline and travel sector, most businesses are getting along quite well. They and their people will return to flying, sooner or later.
Once the stckmarkets have stopped their rather melodramatic wobblies, and people calm down and start to realistically assess the prospects for the future, I think you will find that the forecasts will start to be a bit brighter. We're still in aftershock, and lots of jobs are going to be lost right now, but they will come back.
It's a good time just to sit back and watch for a while, that's all.