PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SWA Captain delays flight for bereaved passenger!
Old 15th Jan 2011, 13:52
Prober

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delays

So long ago now I can barely remember, when I was in the RHS, we were asked by company to delay for the minister for transport. The skipper grumbled away at this, saying that such people were supposed to keep things moving, not hold them up. "Now," he said, "were it a compassionate case, I would delay for as long as it took and to hell with the consequences. But in this case, I will have to wait - but I will do a really heavy landing at (dest) and rattle her t@ts off (it was a woman minister)!" (Some older readers might remember him - he wore a monocle and it always fell out on touchdown, no matter how much of a greaser you made.) I always followed his rules and got shouted at many times for my pains. But, after shrugging them, I just wound my shoulders out yet another six inches. I even got shouted at by the airline's director of planning for not taking off when there was a thunderstorm breaking around our ears. After he pointed out that others were taking off and I told him that may be they had lost the will to live, he slunk back to his seat.
Prober