PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2011, 22:30
criss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just one thing to remember Franzl - if it was in fact a case of busting minima intentionally, it wouldn't have been the first time, they even referred to doing the same in Gdansk (EPGD). Casa did the same btw. But we'll most likely never know whether it was intentional or not. I agree with your other points - despite all the claims about them being elite etc, they were not properly trained, and not particularly experienced either. They had no simulator training, they taught themselves or learned from each other, and they learned from outdated manuals (LOT's Tu-154 manual from 1994 was mentioned - but PLF101 was a completely different a/c in terms of avionics). It's a real pity, cause I'm sure they all wanted to be good aviators and were passionate about it, but Polish military simply didn't provide them with tools to achieve that.

Rockshock - as stated already, they were in fact on "glide" (or within limits) all the time they were receiving such an information from ATC. Last "on glide" info was some 40 seconds before the crash, before the dive occured. You can't point to a moment were ATC said "on glide" when they in fact weren't. And ATC tried to send them around after that. Anyway, there are solid reasons to believe the crew didn't listen to all of it anyway.

Most of the Polish remarks are irrelevant, and are futile attempts to say "you shouldn't have let us crash our a/c!". I've read a good, even if ironic, comment at a Polish website today - "it's not the tower that crashed, it was the a/c" - while ATC maybe haven't done everything possible to prevent it (that's debatable), it would be difficult to prove they did something important that caused it.