PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2011, 20:54
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Quote:
Because the used altitude information (from ATC and from the Navigator) was wrong
Was it? Information from ATC was correct (within limits), and navigator was reading information from RA, which was giving correct readouts. If you were correct, why would F/o call out a go around when he did?
Let me rephrase that.

Although the informations of ATC had been given on radar information within allowed limits, the actual flightpath was initially above the recommended glidepath, leading to a nearly double higher descent rate than recommended, leading later on to a drop way below glidepath.

Although the Navigator was reading the correct readouts of the radar altimeter (like he was supposed to do during his duties on YAK40), the PF was expecting the figures to be barometric height (as stated in the report).

My point is, the PIC with his limited expierience (only 6 NDB approaches total on TU-154, all of them in good weather), could assume to be on a well established final approach using those two inaccurate altitude informations alone. The failure being, that he relied totally on those informations disregarding descent-rates and other necessary crosschecks. And he was not helped out by his (inexpierienced) crew either.

The FO caught up with the developping problem, but way too late. I wonder what kind of duty he had during this approach.

But again, my oppinion, im not god and might be wrong.

franzl

Last edited by RetiredF4; 14th Jan 2011 at 22:10.