PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 5
Thread: Aer Lingus - 5
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2011, 18:20
EI Premier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's no question, that the twice daily DUB-JFK-DUB route is profitable, and has always been that way for EI. I was thinking the A350 with it's low cost base & fuel saving winglets, SFO & LAX could re-configure on the destination map, also it may hopefully tie in with a live register figure around the 200,000 mark and annual GDP growth.
SFO & LAX? In my opinion, there's no way that both of these airports will be served simultaneously any time in the near future, unless there were VERY limited frequencies to both - which really defeats the purpose. However, from a cost base perspective, the volumes would have to be EXTREMELY buoyant for such a move.

RTE reports - Aer Lingus faces the possibility of industrial action next week after the airline threatens to remove cabin crew employees from the payroll if they fail to comply with new rosters being introduced on Monday.
Sadly, certain sections of Management appear absolutely intent on provoking disruption on this occasion. Their approach throughout these past several months could be described at times as bordering on contempt.

Yes, there are two sides to every situation but this is now going beyond all reasonable expectations. Cabin Crew are continually being singled out for further cost reduction demands. The current level of dispute all emanates quite simply from EI Management's selective interpretation of the LRC findings during 2010. In the normal course of employment, its not general practice to CONTINUALLY attempt to re-write employee contracts.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see disruption begin next week - there can be no positive outcome in the current situation, unless something changes rapidly.

It's a terrible situation and is wholly unnecessary - I'm at a loss to understand management logic - damage of the brand, potential disruption to services, loss of consumer confidence, alienation of a significant and very important frontline workforce grouping. Cabin Crew understand more than any group the need for cost consolidation. But they have given and further agreed HUGE cuts and efficiency improvements over the past 3 years - far greater than those demanded of their colleagues in other departments.

The unnecessary saga continues...

EI Premier