PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2011, 14:19
fredjhh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rmventury

During the 18 months I was a prisoner of war I saw no Monoply Boards, but I do know that there were various ways in which we received escape material.
The Red Cross parcels were NEVER used. An organisation, called The Licenced Victualers Sports Association, sent games and cigarettes to Prison Camps, with maps and other escape equipment hidden inside, so Monopoly would have been one of games. Shove ha'penny boards, pencils, other board games, playing cards, and even gramophone records were used.
Cigarettes came inside Red Cross parcels, but relatives could send separate parcels directly through one of the tobacco agents, such as Rothmans. Some of these were in round cans containing 50 cigarettes, sealed in with tin foil. A neat cutter in the lid was used to open the foil. All parcels and came through the camp Post Office, who issued collection chits sent to an individual via his hut chief. In addition to the German postal staff were prisoners who knew the code marks for the tins with the contraband, which they had to conceal and smuggle out. The Germans were distracted by gifts of cigarettes or simply bribed. I believe some cricket bats sent to one camp aroused suspicion, so the Germans removed all the handles!
Many years ago there was an Exhibition of these materials in the RAF Museum at Hendon. A recent show at the War Museum North, in Manchester, I unfortunately missed.
fredjhh