PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB and Rudders
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2002, 01:56
FDXmech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I work on the A300-600 on a daily basis, I'm very interested in this topic.

I was always aware of the design philosophy between the Boeing ratio changer method of rudder travel limiting versus Airbus's rudder pedal limiting philosophy. Yet, until Wino brought to my attention the potential (and with AA587, possibly all too real) ramifications of limiting pedal movement, I assumed the difference to be "six on one hand, half dozen the other".

Yet the more I learned of this pedal limiting design, with its inherant progressive decrease in pedal force coupled with a very short pedal travel as IAS rises, I can only ask why was such a system devised and more importantly, approved? What benefit does this design bring?

I wanted to see for myself the overall effect of this system. This being possible by putting a single air data computer in the self test mode, (via the maintenance test panel behind the F/O's seat) thereby increasing various air data driven parameters.

I gently cycled the rudder pedals and to my surprise, the resistance to movement felt almost nonexistant, especially noticeable with the short throw. IMO, any assertion that a pilot would need to be heavy footed to swing the rudder is a bit overstated.

Belgique: Do you have any opinion on this system?