PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter shared ownership
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2011, 11:45
chopperchappie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cost Model

northpoint

Yes is the broad answer. Nice Analysis. Figures not far from mine (assumes yours are inc VAT).

But broadly speaking IMHO it makes sense to buy a mid-hours R44Raven II rather than new and split the costs into two buckets;

Standing Costs - Those costs which if it doesn't move you still have to pay (monthly);
  • Buying / Finance / Depreciation
  • Insurance
  • Hangar / Accommodation - this offsets maintenance corrosion etc.
  • Annual Service
  • Mandatory ADs Upgrades (Mode S) etc.
Variable Costs - the more you use the more you pay (generally)
  • FUEL - Argghhhh OMG How much!
  • Scheduled Maintenance
  • Unscheduled Maintenance
If you need to pay the bills every month you need to have the SO set up from all the sharers to pay the money on 1st of each month. No Quibbles.

So cut a long story short you need to split the standing costs between the sharers and it doesn't really matter how you do it across how many sharers as long as the costs are covered and divided by the number of hours flown a year work out substantially less than renting.

Problem is they will never work out with everyone's perceived "ideal world" where there are 4 owners all paying £100pm plus £200ph wet flying 20-30 hours a year. Aircraft is always available - but if that's the case it's really not efficient! You need to fly the aircraft at least 250, better 300 hours a year to get the standing and per hour costs low enough.

The only way it works is to have few owners flying shed loads of hours and most people that can afford that don't have the time to do that, or more people flying less hours each and paying less each. Either way it's nearly the same availability and stress on the aircraft.

SO I AM STILL LOOKING FOR A COUPLE MORE POTENTIAL NON-PROFIT SHARERS FOR A POSSIBLE R44 R2 BASED OUT OF NORTH/WEST LONDON (Wycombe, Denham, Waltham) with or without equity ownership

Anyone seriously interested in flying 20-30 hours plus at roughly half commercial rental rates please PM/EM me pronto. I'll send some data back by email.

Thanks

CC