PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting PPL!!
Thread: Starting PPL!!
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2011, 11:16
jez d

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Hello Guyduke

If you are after a standard European PPL then £6,500 is too little. With increases in VAT and fuel prices I would say that a PPL is obtainable for not much less than £7,500 currently. Additionally, it is highly unlikely you will complete the licence in the minimum hours and will need to do some extra flying. Unless you are a natural sky-god, breaks during training due to other commitments or the vagaries of the British weather will mean you will have to undergo brush-up training at stages during your course. Realistically I would budget an additional 25-50% on top on the minimum hours course fees.

A cheaper alternative is to go down the microlight route. These aircraft are cheaper to run, maintain etc, and this is reflected in the hourly rate.

And from next year a new basic PPL licence is being introduced across Europe called the Light Aircraft Pilot Licence (LAPL). The priveleges of the licence are more restrictive than for the full blown European PPL, but if bimbling round the countryside under visual flight rules (i.e. not out of sight of ground and not relying completely on instruments, which requires a full PPL with added on ratings) then this might be more appropriate for you.

I suggest you pop along to Leicestershire Aero Club and ask them to take you through the options in greater detail.

Regards, jez