PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this a dying breed of Airman / Pilot for airlines?
Old 14th Jan 2011, 02:54
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
I've had a wade through the thread and made a few edits to keep the overall thing on an even keel.

Main things to keep in mind, I guess -

(a) on Tech Log and CRM, we don't try to achieve a nanny state, PC, tea and scones gathering sort of ideal - such would be a waste of time and the result ever so terribly boring

(b) the nature of the piloting fraternity is that high egos abound and, indeed, a pilot with low ego is unlikely to achieve much success in the task

(c) the pilot who wishes to be all things to all people and friend to all .. is doomed to failure. Command is not about democracy although the best commanders will exploit the capabilities and knowledge of their associates to the benefit of achieving the goal at the time and, to the extent reasonably achievable, will encourage a pleasant workplace environment. Some do this better than others, of course, but that is the nature of humanity.

(d) our goal here is for folk, while debating with vigour and rigour, not to get down into gutter tactics and gratuitously abusive behaviour .. noting that criticism doesn't equal abuse, per se. One needs to accept that some folk are more diplomatic than others when it comes to delivering criticism ..

(e) we are, I think, fortunate to have a number of quite vigorous folk in the PPRuNe sandpit who call it like they see it albeit that sometimes such a manner irritates the more sensitive folk. Fact of life and it it not likely to alter much anytime soon.

(f) Why isn't it a rule on this forum that people be required to post in their public profile at least the basics of what empowers (or not) them to comment?

The question is a little idealistic, I think. This is not going to happen anytime soon regardless of whether it may/may not be a good idea.

However, for those readers who have a background in the Industry, it is not terribly difficult to weed out the technically ignorant from the savant. Sometimes both can get a bit circumlocutory and repetitive but that's life, I guess.

Keep in mind that the moderator need not agree, like, admire or enthuse about that which might be written. The moderating task is not to constrain the forum or individual threads/posts to the moderator's (or moderators') views. Rather the task is to provide a measure of control (if, and where, required) according to the requirements of the site and any published forum requirements.

In so doing, the moderator is subject to the lemma that one can please some of the people all the time, all of the people some of the time .. but not all of the people all of the time.

Sometimes we do a good job while, at other times, we hang on to the tail of the tiger as best we might be able.