PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Redundancies
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2011, 17:42
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian Break
In reply to Cannofodder's post No 4: my worry is that we have Line Managers at all! Shouldn't we leave all that sort of thing to the civilian workplace and have Leaders instead, just like we used to have before the MBA brigade started running the Armed Forces, with their Traffic Light Assessments and suchlike?

CB
CB, that was true until, I guess, the 80s when we started to have Service Level Agreement, ISO 9000, QA and HSE etc. We already had Executives rather than flt and sqn cdrs. It was all a move to create the suggestion of transferable civilian skills and civilian recognisable job titles because of, would you believe, redundancies . We abandoned traditional departments and their Directors and instead created agencies.

The Air Secretary's Department became the Personnel Management AGENCY after a short spell as a CENTRE.

The Head of Defence Estates is the Chief Executive. His No 2, a civilian, is the Chief Operations Officer.

Given the preponderance of civil servants in the MOD it was inevitable that we became a civiliansied force.