PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2011, 14:33
Golf-Sierra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The report gives a lot of insight on the state of affairs at the Polish Air Force:

- the plane didn't have a valid C of A - so they took one from another airframe,

- the PIC was not current on his IMC landings - so he logged a near CAVOK landing as IMC,

- the PIC was apparently undergoing training at LOT - but his logbook shows he was in fact flying at the same time (or perhaps it is the logbook that is incorrect?).

- they didn't have an up to date FCOM,

- they didn't have 4 crew SOP,

Maybe these were not significant factors, but I think they show the attitude that prevailed. This approach is still very typical of many things run by the government in Poland. Disregard the rules - how likely is it you'll get caught?

The communication between the Tu and the Yak-40 - I would not be surprised if there was more than meets the eye there.

One thing makes me wonder about the report though - the Russians are very scrupulous in quoting the reference and date of all documents received from the Polish side regarding the flight prep - with the exception of the refulsal to have the navigator-leader. When did the Poles refuse? How was this communicated?

Regards,

Golf-Sierra

/Polish expat/