PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quit Aviation Now. There are No Jobs
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2011, 12:59
old_mate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different Perspective

I completed the Aviation Australia Training course in its 2nd year of operation, Airlines knock on our doors about 3 months before it ended, about half my class were hired to go to sydney to commence apprenticeship (before Hangar 3 opened). I did my time, got back to BNE not long after hangar 3 opened, got my trade cert and walked out the door to become a regular electrician. Since then the GFC hit, 2 of the companies i worked for went under, i never got said sparky ticket (im about 6 months shy) however i now get paid the same as a level 4/5 LAME, with phone, company ute, laptop etc etc and i cruise around the place installing and maintaining security alarm and CCTV systems for woolworths group. And i couldnt be happier.

I miss the planes, the work but the dollars are ****, job prospects are ****, and you only have to look at one of my relatives who is a 20yrs+ serving LAME with Sunstate to realise the big airlines pretty much think you're a glorified mechanic/auto electrician and you're not worth pissing on if on fire.

If you're in brisbane with all the floods about try get a sparky trade or fridgies trade.