PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Redundancies
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2011, 12:16
spannermonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the replies above, its not all doom and gloom on the outside, but I would add that aside from a few who 'fall into a great job the rest have to work to get what they want. Yes those from the RAF are still seen by a lot of industry as choice folks, but equally there are those who have never been in the services who are just as capable. Remember, due to previous reductions there are a lot of ex mil folks who have been in industry for a few years so are just as if not more valuable to many companies.

I left a couple of years ago, granted with the back up of a pension, but had to work hard to get the jobs I've had, at the same time I was aiming high so I had room to wiggle - result I'm with a very good company with an awesome package. A lot of it does come down to your CV, but aware of the fact that you can't fill it out with fantasy bollox just to big yourself up, but don't sell yourself short. Companies are smart and will, based on the level of the role, grill a potential new employee - current job was a 4 person interview that lasted 2 hours. I now have a great position working with a company that is far better at looking after its people than the RAF has become and who are very understanding about my home life. If you are the person they want, use that and make sure you get the most for yourself. Most of the guys that work with or for me are ex mil so there is still that association many crave. My 'two bit' nugget of advice would be there are a lot of jobs out there, you just have to know what it is you are looking for and develop a plan and be prepared to make a few compromises if its the job you really want, whatever they may be. If you are aiming high, be prepared for a lot of rejections, or in most cases no response at all, just take them and move on to the next application - they are not personal. On the same note don't just send out one or two at a time, apply and keep applying for them.

All of that said the initial question was how to deal with your guys, those who are leaving and those who remain. As PN said offer help to those who want and ask, the others if they become bitter and twisted - their choice. For those leaving, encourage them to make use of whatever help there. Will the Seniors put a workable and effective plan into place

The Military is never going to be like the old days, they ended years ago and it has, for too long been a case of dealing with the most recent/next grand plan handed down form above.

Bottom line is as its always been - you are responsible for you - make the most of and for you.