PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2011, 10:00
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC posts above are interesting... but again, do we really know what (if any?) SOPs were in place for ATC / the crew for this type of approach? They would no doubt differ from what UK civvy ATCOs remember (from a long time ago) and UK Mil ones, which in turn differed.

e.g. "Not cleared to land". My understanding, I think, from the report, was that landing clearance would be issued when they called visual?

e.g. "Did not go around when ordered" (the Yak). This was, I believe ordered by the PAR controller. Do we know the SOP in this case if the Yak had become visual by that stage? Was a PAR GA call mandatory?

I also understood it that the Russian ATC SOPs / authority differed when handling foreign / VIP flights to Russian Mil flights? i.e. a Russian Mil flgiht could be ordered to divert (effectively "Approach Ban") whereas this was not the case for the Polish Tu-154.

SadPole - some good points. The 2 previous incidents show that unless things were seriously addressed, a further incident/accident was likely, as unfortunately happened here

NoD