PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ideas / suggestions for a twin
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2011, 23:54
TriMedGroup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MakeItHappenCaptain,

Sorry if i have offended you. The primary reason for putting this question out there was because I wanted to gain some actual operating figures (not peoples opinions or ideas for their own dream aircraft) so i could present my boss with comparisons about what would and would not work. To spend $1.1M on a P68 and out grow it in 18 months would mean fronting up to my boss to admit that I didnt do my research and spent a lot of money on an aircraft that isnt suitable. Just a little bit of pressure on me to get it right!.

Do you mean to say that the gear emergency extension wasnt tested at the factory? Like you say, new aircraft types will have issues and the only way of discovering these is generally when you are a long way from home.

What do we want A/C for in Mildura? Perhaps you should look here: Mildura climate, averages and extreme weather records.
The aircraft's main use will be as an executive transport, dont think my boss is too keen on getting out of the plane in Canberra for an important meeting smelling like he's just ridden there on a push bike. Over 40c inside the aircraft is pretty common here. Dont quote me but i'm pretty sure the heating set up is an exhaust shroud system too, not that it matters as the heater in the 206 doesnt see much use.

As you say the aircraft is not pressurised or turbo'd, which for mine is more reason to have De-Ice if you can. Yes with good pre flight planning you can just about get around most of the problems associated with Victorian winter freezing levels of 3500, but you will probably negate the saving of 25Kg from not having De-Ice, by using 25Kg of fuel diverting around the ranges at 2500ft. I used it for the comparison so i could compare apples with apples, I could do a comparison of a basically equipped P68 (no leather, air con, de ice, radar etc.) with a fully kitted out older aircraft on a range v payload basis and for anything over 250Nm, the older one would still come out on top for longer trips.

Not to mention the added comfort of the well equipped older aircraft for the passengers, I have to try and sell charters to the public - better equipped aircraft = more attractive to them and more chance of getting there, speed is the other main advantage here.

The main reason for the MT prop option was the 13Kg weight saving, if you dont think they are much chop then add a further 13Kg to the BEW i mentioned before. Youre in G58 territory now as far as useful load goes. If you can show me an example of a retrofit wing mounted radar then I would love to see it, I would guess that it wouldnt weigh less than 10Kg as well.

By old version head lining, I mean that the newer models no longer have the 6 inch covering of the ventilation ducting that runs down the middle of the roof. The same piece of ducting that we all managed to hit our head on getting in and out of the rear seats.

It must sound like I am rubbishing the P68, but I dont intend to - it is still definately on my bosses short list and just about un-beatable when doing what it was intended for. The A-viator you mentioned is a very interesting aircraft and seems a very good turbine replacement for the C402/PA31 type aircraft. We are looking forward to having a look at it at Avalon.

Thanks for your input none the less,

TMG.