PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2011, 22:58
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually Nigel I think that in this case there is only 1 person to blame...
Fine... your opinion. I presume you are qualified / have done enough research to disagree with the investigators? The P2 was totally blamless was he, disregarding a specific SOP?

The whole idea of regulatory oversight, CRM, SOPs, multi-crew etc. is that no one person can make an error of judgement and cause a serious accident.

We must be careful not to judge these individuals against a modern western airline culture and hang them on that basis

I'll put it another way... if you say the PIC is the only person to blame, you are effectively saying that now he is dead and buried, we can ignore the rest of the findings - we have removed the entire problem and so there will no no repetition.

My view is that the whole operation was so shambolic that an accident at some point was inevitable The root cause of the accident went a long way "above" the cockpit crew... from the VIP flight organisation, the (lack of) SOPs, the inexperience etc. etc.

There's no discussion here: under IMC a GPWS warning on any kind or aircraft call for an IMMEDIATE MANUAL GO AROUND!
There's plenty for discussion! That might be your type's / country's / airline's SOP... good, that is how you have been trained. Do you know what their SOPs were? Had they been trained on it? If you actually read the report, you will find the TAWS was "unable" to be used correctly in the situation they were in (A/F not in database & QFE operation).

NoD