PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA/FAA question
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2011, 19:43
MagnusW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAA/FAA question

Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking for flight schools in the US to do my CPL/ME/IR at, and it has turned out to be a bit of a hassle.

I live in sweden, did about 75 hours, time building in SE US this summer, and now i'd like to go back, but it's really a jungle of rules/bad schools out ther. And most of them hasn't even bothered to answer my inquiries.

So for the main question - after finding a few schools that seem allright, it hit me that I fiorgot to check if they are JAA approved. I know some of them are, for example AAA down in San Diego. But what if I attend a non-JAA school for my ratings, will these be totally useless in Europe? What are the rules regarding this? From hat I have understood, at least the IR has to be converted in Europe, even if I find a JAA-qualified school in the US (like 15 hours flying, and a checkride), but what with CPL/ME?...I know all of them are SEVIS-approved, but that don't really help me with the JAA issue..

Also while i'm at it, the schools i've been looking at are American Flyers Santa Monica, AAA San Diego, California flight academy also at Gillespie, and Sunrise Aviation up in Santa Ana. Only SOCAL yes, but those are the only ones that has given me the curtesy of an answer (none of the florida-schools did).

Any thoughts on these schools? Anyone with experience/constructive chriticism would be appreciated!

Thanks folks //Magnus