PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greatest ever blunder in the history of the UK aircraft industry?
Old 12th Jan 2011, 18:57
TorqueOfTheDevil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the Me109 [sic] hadn't been ready and the RLM had chosen a possibly inferior a/c as it's main fighter....????
The Germans had other comparable fighters on the go at the same time with no help from Rolls Royce (Heinkel alone had two, the He 100 and the He 112) - these aircraft got nowhere because the Bf 109 was so good, but could have been brought on had the Bf 109 not worked out so well.

sale (not gift) of Nene and Derwent was to our valiant Ally
Ally my @rse! The Soviets were never allies, any more than Israel and the Arab countries were allies during GW1, they just happened to have the same enemy. Even a cursory study of the relationship between the USSR and the (Western) Allies shows how one-sided the relationship was!

The B29 was a wartime development for one theatre and its contemporary was the Lancaster
Strictly speaking this is true, in the same way that the AEW Shackleton was a contemporary of the E-3 because we had one at the same time as the US had the other - but to suggest that these British aircraft were anything like as advanced or capable as the US equivalent is, to me, unsupportable.