PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian floods: helicopters involved
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2011, 18:41
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
YBB

Still very little news and pictures coming through from Australian Rotorheads on this disaster.
I guess they may be a little busy......I know when I am busy on fires, the last thing I want to do at night is post pictures on here. Give them time.

Over the years I have read (and watched) when news helicopters take direct action in order to preserve life.
Is there a general rule among ENG pilots about this and what and when are the exceptions please?
To add to what to what HM has already stated, there are numerous factors that come into play. Firstly, the pilots may not feel confident enough to try a rescue without creating undue risk to the helicopter and crew. Sometimes, sad though it may be to watch, it is better to be cautious and NOT become a part of the problem.

Secondly, there may not be the room on the aircraft or it may not have the lifting capabilities.

Thirdly, as HM eluded, there may be company rules which individual pilots need to make their own decision as to whether to break those rules. Personally, I am with HM and feel that in a life or death situation, it is easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.