PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tristars grounded again?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2011, 16:26
BirdController

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A trio of observations if I may?

1. Quote! "You're not paying attention, Sideshow Bob, the tech stop for refueling also has a crew change, and in addition, catering uplift for the passengers (you do feed 'em in the RAF yes?), because... it would be operated as an airline operation not some off the wall military ops without adequate forethought.
The military is very good at what they were designed for, fighting, however, it would appear that the transport of personel could be greatly enhanced by adopting proven commercial airline ops, and at an expected lower overall cost.
One wonders...is the MoD up to the task?" Unquote

I know that as one ages the memory starts to fade, but do I not remember flying RAFAIR for a 9 month suntanning holiday 40 miles south of the Equator in 1973 (and returning safely courtesy of the same 'airline')?
My military employer at the time seemed to manage basic commercial airline techniques reasonably well, as they did for me on numerous occasions afterwards. And from what I see at the moment that same military organisation manages pretty well considering the impositions placed on it by the 'government of the day'

2. I sat and watched a 216 Sqn Tristar perform some spirited local flying for 3hrs or so last Saturday - the airplane looked fine to me.

3. My eldest son is due to fly out via the same squadron to Afghan shortly for a 7 month+ tour of duty - methinks I'd rather trust him into the tender and safe hands of the RAF than a Honduras air carrier operator