PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2011, 16:26
fernytickles

Life's too short for ironing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just reading the part that RegDep posted, my heart was in my mouth - its like watching a disaster movie, knowing what is going to come next....

Haven't flown an approach in 5 months and going to be carrying the heads of state of the country?

Can't/don't get actual and forecast weather prior to departure, so decide to bust minimums?

Ignore TAWS warnings, while reading radar altimeter heights?

The utube video is heart-breaking - PULL UP, PULL UP, crunch..... What a terrible waste of life.

What on earth was going on with Polish airforce training and operations that this crew thought they would be ok? This could be a fascinating example of CRM - cheese holes lining up and whole bunch of other CRM cliches....

I just listened to a Polish politician speaking on the BBC World Service. He claims the Russian ATC could/should have been more professional and should have done more to stop the pilots making the approach! The interviewer pushed him on that, saying "shouldn't the pilots be making that decision" or words to that effect, at which point he backed down, saying "I'm just a politician and don't know all the technical stuff"...

Sounds like they need to take a long hard look at how honest they are being with themselves..........