PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North American News
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2011, 15:44
Hell Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Channel 5 Helicopter Makes Emergency Landing

WCVB-TV (Channel 5) said their helicopter made what is called a 'precautionary landing' and there were no injuries. The pilot landed it in an area near Beacon and Charles streets where there are few trees. A witness said he heard no engine noise when the craft was landing.

Channel 5 helicopter makes emergency landing - The Boston Globe

A WCVB-TV (Channel 5) news helicopter made an emergency landing yesterday evening on Boston Common.The red helicopter with “Sky5’’ on it could be seen apparently undamaged on a bed of icy snow on the Common near Beacon and Charles streets shortly after 6 p.m.
The station said the helicopter made what is called a precautionary landing and there were no injuries to the pilot or passenger. The Boston Fire Department said firefighters were called to the scene at 6:02 p.m. and no injuries were reported.

Swarms of police and firefighters surrounded the scene shortly after the incident. A small crowd of spectators also gathered.

Thomas Golden, 21, of Pembroke, was driving the Zamboni machine at the Frog Pond skating rink when, he said, he saw the lights of the helicopter come over a building on Tremont Street. He said the craft flew around the Common, on the Boylston Street side, and then over to the area near Beacon and Charles, which is one of the few sections where there are no trees.

“It maybe took 15 seconds to get down a thousand feet,’’ he said. “He was wicked low, wicked fast.

“He went down hard. I thought he crashed. Props to that pilot. That was incredible.’’

Golden said there was no engine noise from the helicopter shortly before the landing.

“My co-workers thought I was lying. It was quiet. No one else heard it,’’ he said.

He said he and several other Frog Pond workers ran over to the scene to see what happened. They were told by a park ranger that the pilot and passenger were OK.

A spokesman for the TV station did not immediately return a message seeking comment.