PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indoor Artillery
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2002, 16:33
Fg Off Max Stout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Indoor Artillery

As I diversion from the general bitching and inane questions that have recently graced this forum, I am taking the liberty of prompting some slightly less serious discussion.

The glorious 60(R)Sqn currently has what I believe may be the most powerful Mess Cannon in the RAF. Based on the prototype built when on ULAS, the device is expertly engineered using a fire extinguisher for the breech and approx 6ft of steel piping for the barrel. This is mounted on a small gun carriage crafted from the wheels of a bike found at the back of the mess and a car jack, enabling fine adjustment to barrel elevation. The 2.5" weapon fires full cans of beer (ideally Kaliber or similar) up to about 120m, which burst satisfactorily on impact. The propellant is Lynx and piezo electric remote ignition may be added at the mid life upgrade. Its use in the mess would probably take out walls.

On a related note, I understand that parts of at least two messes have been destroyed with aircrew IEDs. I believe that Pablo Mason and a mate took out Wildenwrath OM annex.

CAN ANYONE BETTER THESE, EITHER CURRENTLY OR IN THE 'GOOD OLD DAYS'?

Incidently, why is the Military forum of the Professional Pilots' RuNe about 90% full of people who are neither military nor pilots. WEBF seems to be a prime example.