PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any recruitment likely at Easy?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2011, 13:00
Wingswinger

Location: Hampshire physically; Perthshire and Pembrokeshire mentally.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a Training Captain at eJ I too am worried. There is no doubt that standards have been lowered to keep the tap turned on and the quality of trainee is not what it was. Of course there are still some good ones but there are also an increasing number who are quite clearly square pegs in round holes who have little feel or aptitude for the job. They should be nowhere near the flight deck of an airliner. The retraining bill at eJ will go up. The failure rate will also go up because one thing you can be sure of is that those of us who have to sign off these lads and lassies to fly on the line will not drop our standards. It's just a question of how many times the eJ training managers will be prepared to mount the remedial simulator packages and provide the extra line training necessary to get this increasing number up to an acceptable standard.

That still leaves me, as a trainer, with a recurring nightmare. The one in which a brand new CTC cadet who just scraped through is flying with an experienced older captain. The captain suffers a heart attack (it does happen) and the lad/lassie finds him/herself alone approaching an unfamiliar destination with significant terrain, marginal weather and few options.

I know what I'd do to head trouble off at the pass. But then, I'm not a training manager with a Ops Director and commercial department breathing down my neck.