PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2011, 12:55
jimjim1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Radio altimeter

RegDep
Maybe pressure, but why and how did it lead to CFIT? What made them think that they were higher than they were? That's what we want to know.
RegDep
"- early transition by the navigator to the altitude callouts on the basis of the radio altimeter indications without considering the uneven terrain;"
I think you answered your own question here.

Earlier in this thread there were many models of the flight path relative to the terrain created and resultant trajectories posted from data released by the investigators. These strongly suggested that the crew began to rely on the radio altimeter when overhead low terrain close to the runway. When the terrain rose sharply as they approached the runway they were unable to climb sufficiently rapidly to reach the runway altitude.

As I remember they crashed into terrain below the runway altitude just short of the runway.

It appears that the followed the radio altimeter down into a hole and failed to recognise the situation in time to climb out the other side.

Sorry, but I am not at present going through the thread to look for the cross-sections that were posted so I have no exact links or references.

PS I posted some trajectory models myself but stopped their development when superior versions that were not in disagreement were created by others