PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 5
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2011, 10:00
JKKne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DTV Airport
Didn't think the news of Ryanair pulling out would have lead the news like it has, BBC Tees had a good interview today though with someone who stuck up for the airport & criticised anyone who goes to alternative airports because of the new tax only to pay more in parking & fuel. This is the atitude everyone needs to take!!

What surprised me is someone from Peel said Ryanair had already decided to leave prior to the announcement of the tax.
It's all well criticising people for going elsewhere but they won't use DTV because there's not enough flights and the infrastructure (or at least shops, restaurants etc) isn't good enough

I always tried to use the Airport when I lived in the UK but to get where I needed to be it often involved either taking very expensive charter flights or connecting through AMS when I could toddle up to NCL or EDI and get a direct scheduled flight for half the price.

If there's a large group going away on holiday it's just as cost effective to hire a minibus or taxi and get up to NCL so I don't buy the fuel cost argument, nearly every taxi company in the area does decent deals on NCL airport transfers

Regardless of the merits of any fee it's going to put people off purely on a PR basis. It's got negative connotations.