PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFAP pilots union - is it worth it?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2011, 03:52
beat ups are fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GA needs more repsentation

GA pilots need far more representation from AFAP. Allot of us have been there, done that in some two bit GA company who only cares about the bottom line. Underpaid pilots are unhappy pilots and this can lead to all sorts of issues for both the company (revolving door of pilots coming and going, more ICUS, non-revenue flights, etc.) and pilots (stress, how can I afford to pay rent AND eat this week)

Charter and scenic operators need to be publicly exposed for what they are doing and i think AFAP need to lead the way on the issue. The practice of not paying pilots allowances and even worse paying pilots as "Contractors" on an ABN is totally wrong, and I dare say illegal. I still can't believe the amount of companies in the NT that actually boast that they pay the award.

Talking to a few friends further up the food chain AFAP seams to do a good job negotiating EBA's. But union numbers in these type of airlines are a far greater percentage.

I would really like to see current AFAP members and union reps going to flying schools and signing up CPL students before they go looking for work. Before every instructor jumps on my back and says "but that will hurt our enrollments" yes it will BUT I for one am sick to death of flying schools lying to students, teaching them on these wizz bang G1000 C172's so they are "Airline ready". Reality is that this is not how the aviation industry works in Australia unless your enrolled in one of those Cadetships, which is an idea thought up by satin himself.

100% membership is what AFAP needs, everyone from students to A380 captains. With a high percentage of members in the industry AFAP will grow the teeth that it needs to support it's members, but unfortunately many people are waiting for the federation to grow teeth first and that won't be happening anytime soon.