PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greatest ever blunder in the history of the UK aircraft industry?
Old 12th Jan 2011, 00:13
Samuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but BAe tried to sell the militarised BAe 146 to the RNZAF in mid 1988, IIRC. I have pics of one when I was at woodbourne, and wondered who on earth would purchase a STOL tact AT aircraft without a rear-loading ramp. A Bonkers Design. Samuel - perhaps you were there at the time?
Whenurhappy. I had no involvement other than in the after-match gossip, which was really in the vein that no one took the BAe proposal seriously.

I recall a sales pitch, but your old mate Pat Neville was CAS at the time and he would have died laughing at the suggestion the RNZAF buy such a dead beat type, totally unsuited for any role in transport. He would have enjoyed lunch on BAe though! Now beats the hell out of golf balls in Taupo!

The type was never particulary well-received in NZ, and I have heard that the maintainers didn't like it. There was a mob of them in the Ansett colours parked up in Aus for a long time; they may still be there!

Last edited by Samuel; 12th Jan 2011 at 00:24.